Not recorded.
Description
Gustavus Brander aquired the site of Christchurch Priory shortly before January 1775. He cleared the foundations of much the ruins, partly out of curiosity and possibly in advance of the construction of Priory House.
He describes the the ruins of the refectory as measuring 36 ft long by 20ft wide and having a doorway at the eastern end. This doorway led to an interior apartment measuring 20ft x 18ft with two gothic windows in the south wall. The walls themselves were 5ft thick. In the easternmost window a pentagonal stone with hollow interior was set, presumably some form of container for water. Brander suggested that this room might represent the Prior's private oratory.
Furthermore, approximately 2 foot inside the door of this room a square stone had been set in the floor measuring 2ft 9 inches by 2ft and set with lead. On lifting this stone was found to seal a stone lined chamber 2 ft deep containing at least half a bushel (4 gallons) of bird bones, including those of herons, bitterns, cocks and hens.
Brander suggested that the site of the priory may have previously been the site of a pagan temple (1).
Possibly at the same time, and certainly before 13th November 1777, Brander unearthed three cist burials. These were interpreted by a Mr Pegge of the Antiquarian Society as being of Roman or prehistoric date (2). However, a further three cist burials found during the excavation of Geothechnical pits at the base of buttresses at the North Choir Aisle of the Priory Church during 2006 and 2007. These were thought to be of 9th-13th century AD date.
The exact location of the Brander discoveries are not known but it seems likely that they were made during the construction of Priory House, possibly circa. 1765.